Social Housing continues to be at the focal point of Government policy with more and more demands and challenges being placed on housing providers.
With this comes increasing legal challenge from tenants and the need to ensure that decision making is made from a solid legal basis to minimise the risk of adverse claims. The cost of instructing solicitors can be prohibitive to seeking ‘proactive’ advice and results in legal advice being sought as “a last resort” when a legal claim is imminent.
At Baker Small we promote the pro-active use of legal support and provide it at rates which are cost effective and competitive when compared to those in the private sector and those offered by in-house legal services. Our team is headed by Mark Small, who has experience working alongside housing associations across a range of legal matters.
At Baker Small we provide a range of support and advice to Housing Associations. Click on the links below to see how we can support you:
Housing Management Litigation
At Baker Small we provide cost effective and competitive support to housing associations/authorities covering a range of litigation including:
- Anti-social behaviour and ASBI
- Long leasehold and tenancy disputes
- Lease extensions
- Breaches of covenant, forfeiture
- Service charge disputes
- Nuisance claims
- Gas safety injunctions
- Review of tenancy agreements and housing or tenancy policies
- Unlawful subletting
- Succession claims
- Judicial Review
- Human rights issues
- Decanting of tenants for development or repairs
Why Instruct Baker Small for your Housing litigation?
Litigation can be costly and a drawn out process if not undertaken effectively. To meet this challenge we offer competitive hourly rates, fixed fees and also links with the bar to ensure that where appropriate barristers can be instructed cost effectively.
In managing litigation we will provide you with:
- Clear Advice – we will advise you on the merits of a potential claim, the best course of action, the likelihood of success and highlight any likely defences/challenges, and explain everything in straightforward terms;
- Handling the Court Process – once proceedings have been issued we run matters through to settlement or trial. This includes preparing Notices, Court Papers and Witness Statements, complying with any directions, and liaising with the tenant’s representatives;
- Advocacy at Hearings – we regularly attend hearings undertaking advocacy. In some circumstances, mainly for trials, we will instruct a barrister. We have strong working relationships with specialist housing barristers across the country and brief them fully prior to hearings
Housing Management Administration Services
Baker Small are experienced in dealing with a range of litigation and disputes that are encountered by housing associations/authorities.
In addition to the services which we provide in respect of dispute with tenants, we also provide legal advice and support to deal with a range of in-house issues including:
- General legal advice and updates on housing law
- Data Protection and Freedom of Information
- Handling and responding to complaints
- Employee disputes, including claims in the Employment Tribunal
- Contractual disputes with suppliers/providers
- Negotiating the terms of contracts
- Property related issues and disputes
We offer a range of services for housing associations and believe our costs are competitive when compared to those offered by the private sector or even in-house legal departments.
We do not have significant overheads or partner’s costs and have therefore chosen to pass on these benefits to you, our customer.
We provide legal support on an hourly rate, as fixed fees or through our subscription packages. This gives you the flexibility to engage us depending on your requirements.